[TowerTalk] "different" trap

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Nov 22 17:22:09 EST 2019

The K7LXC and N0AX test protocols have been independently
verified and only the Mosley tribanders showed significant
gain shortfalls.

Believe what you like but the Mosely shortfall is most
obvious on 15 meters where the element shortening is the
most pronounced.  If you want to discount the K7LXC/N0AX
results, you need to provide a verifiable hypothesis to
explain the "Mosley anomaly."

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2019-11-22 3:39 PM, Glenn Pritchard wrote:
> That false narrative about high loss is just not true.
> I’ve been working with traps for over 30 years and have never seen the losses that those two claimed.
>
> Glenn, VA7UO
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 22, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:
>>

>> The style of construction says "Mosley"
>>
>> Mosley typically put a 10 and 15 meter trap in the same housing.
>> The bottom coil plus capacitance to the outer cover is the 10
>> 10 meter trap.  The outer cover, short as it is, is the 15 meter
>> element (the 10 meter trap is a "high L" trap to resonate with
>> the short 15 meter element). The top (or outer in the case of a
>> yagi) coil and capacitance to the outer cover is the 15 meter
>> trap.
>>
>> The relatively high inductance and low capacitance in the Mosley
>> traps mean the traps are "low Q" (high loss) and account for the
>> demonstrated inefficiency (see the K7LXC & N0AX range test data)
>> of Mosley yagis.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>>> On 2019-11-22 2:01 PM, Tom WA9WSJ via TowerTalk wrote:
>>> Hello Oh Wise Ones,
>>> I have a trap from a vertical antenna, I took it apart to use as a show and tell item but never expected that it has two different coils inside in series with the outer aluminum tube/capacitor.
>>> I have a picture of it on my site. http://www.wa9wsj.com/misc%20stuff.htm
>>> About mid page.
>>> Can anyone tell me about it?
>>> Thanks!