[TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 2 16:46:44 EDT 2019

The loop you want to measure is the single rod through the earth to
multiple rods or a very low R ground such as a building Ufer.

Start with two rods connected with a wire, put the meter on that wire,
measure R. The assumption is that each rod has a resistance of R/2.
When you install the 10th rod the assumption is that the nine already
placed, connected together, and connected by a single wire to rod #10
have a much lower parallel resistance than the new rod. Of course there
is some residual error, but if you go back and measure them one at a
time, one against nine, you will get close approximate resistances of
each rod.  Then these values can be computed as parallel resistances for
a close approximation of the net ground field resistance.

This is why a star layout of rods and connecting wires that looks like a
vertical antenna radial field is easy to measure, one rod at a time.
OTOH, if you have a perimeter wire, the meter will measure the wire
resistance of that loop.

Plus such a layout is the way to minimize the paralleled inductance.

Grant KZ1W