[TowerTalk] I need Amphenol connectors - where can I get them?

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sat Oct 12 15:55:16 EDT 2019

I want to thank N3BNA, AD3F, K3LR, N4KW and K1NY for their responses (public and private) and suggestions.

I compared pricing and availability of the connectors listed in my post with the three suggested suppliers,  RF Parts, The RF Connection and DX Engineering.  I thought that you might be interested in what I learned:

RF Parts had the best combination of pricing and availability – but had some business practices that give me pause  (Very good item website photos)

RF Connection had the similar but more expensive pricing with a very good selection of connectors that were available.  (website photos – too small and not enough detail)

DX Engineering did not carry one of connectors, had limited options (by comparison) for other connectors, and their prices were 1.5x – 3x the prices listed at RF Connection and RF Parts.  They offer free shipping for orders > $100.

Some additional thoughts:

RF Parts did not provide any information about themselves on their website, did not provide a sales/service phone number to talk with someone and accepted payment ONLY VIA PAYPAL.  No credit cards allowed!  Nor was there a phone number to call to speak directly with a person regarding parts and service, which makes the possibility greater of ordering the wrong connector (they have MANY choices for each specific connector).  This matters when you can not return an incorrect item unless they agree to take it back and THEN they charge you a 20% restocking fee for the privilege.  I am uncomfortable with these business practices and I will not order from them even though they had the lowest prices.

DX Engineering had exceptionally high prices (by comparison) for many of the same items.  When you are placing an order for connectors that is easily $200 at RF PARTS and is $300+ at DX Engineering, saving $10 on free shipping does not nearly make up for the $100+ price difference.  Plus I would still have to order the other connector from a second company and incur additional costs plus shipping.

The RF Connection had competitive prices, excellent options for each specific connector and I have ordered from Joel in the past.  I will call to order this coming week.

Tnx to all  & 73

Bob, KQ2M