[TowerTalk] Tower Guy Calculations

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 14 01:46:08 EDT 2019

What really goes on in a guyed tower is pretty complex.  A simple static
analysis might be possible with a spreadsheet, but not a realistic
analysis IMO.

Kurt K7NV a long time ago did a Finite Element Analysis of a simplified
tower structure using the standard Rohn section properties.  His model
is not a detailed model of the actual lattice construction, hence
failure modes are coarse approximations.  His website has that analysis
last time I looked and it is quite instructive as to how a guyed tower
behaves.  k7nv.com

Recall tower axiom #1: Follow the tower manufacturer's design unless a
PE provides an analysis.  If what is wanted is different than the
catalog designs, then it is time to hire a PE. Many configurations are
possible that are not in the catalogs.

Unfortunately, two PE's I have used are refusing amateur radio tower
analysis jobs because too many hams don't implement to the plan, or
don't want to pay the fee, or want to argue with the numbers. The
hassle, cost of the required software, and liability risk aren't worth it.

Grant KZ1W