[TowerTalk] High VSWR

Charles Gallo charlie at thegallos.com
Sun Sep 1 10:36:58 EDT 2019

> No crank up I have seen meets either spec, so cable strength and life is degraded accordingly.  If the tower engineers designed for this loss in strength, then all is ok.  Crosby has more data:
>
> https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/html/en-US/pdf/pgs/380.pdf
>
> Grant KZ1W

By in large, almost every ham item I see is under designed mechanically (not just towers). We get away with things because, we’ll, we accept a certain amount of failure, and we aren’t willing to pay the cost.
Look at tower footings. We go with the drawings, but most have a footnote about unusual soil etc. How often do you hear of a ham actually getting a proper engineer who knows towers to get a soil sample, and design the right footing and anchor system. We go by “it works for the average” or “it worked for my Elmer”
Oh, I understand why ($$$$$)
You bring up polymer bearings. That has been one of my pet “why do we still do this?” things for a while. Rotors, thrust bearings, tower pulleys (really sheaves) etc with ball or even metal plain bearings. Guys, in loading, intermittent motion use, ball/roller/needle bearings were state of the art, in 1940. Here we are 80 years later, and there are a lot of better choices, particularly if out in the weather, without someone lubricating the bearing on a regular basis.
We tend to abuse our wire rope (those lift cables are technically wire rope). If you are seeing broken strands, or rust, or both, there IS a problem, and it is time to look at replacing the same. There is a reason wire rope lubricants exist, as well as protectants. They prevent rust. They help prevent broken strands as the strands rub over each other.  Call the companies that make these products, and ask which you should use, in your case,  and do it. Most come in spray cans. Lower your tower, every wrap on your winch drum, spray the wrap with enough lube for it to get inside, and continue, then lube what is left. Inspect and lubricate your sheaves (pulleys). Do it twice a year (say before spring and fall contest seasons)
While you are at it, inspect your coax, your grounding etc. it isn’t hard to do, and if you do it on a scheduled basis, it is a lot less stressful than having to do it when something breaks

--
73 de KG2V
Charlie