[TowerTalk] High VSWR

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sun Sep 1 16:07:18 EDT 2019

KG2V wrote:

“A lot of people couldn’t care about SO2R. If you aren’t a contester it doesn’t do you much good”

Actually, that’s not true at all.  I find SO2R to be of exceptional value when trying to work a rare DXpedition station on multiple band modes.  Often the pileups are so extreme and the “windows” of time to work them is so short, that if I wait to work them on one band mode before calling them on another, then I will likely miss them on BOTH!

Often Dxpeditions work cw on one band and then ssb on the next band higher or lower, and then they switch band-modes the following day.  So if you miss 15 CW on day 1, your next chance won’t be until day 3.  Perhaps you work on day 3 day and are not around when they get on?  Or maybe cndx are poor and there is no opening.  Or maybe the team decided to go sightseeing.  Then your next chance maybe day 5 or maybe not at all!  Maybe the dxpedition operator is inexperienced or just not very good and decides that it is too hard to work that band-mode again.  Better get them while you can.  How can you do that with one radio?

Operating SO2R gives you a way to monitor cndx simultaneously on two bands and/or make qso’s on those two bands.  It also speeds band changes when you are calling the station on one band and moving to another freq. on the 2nd radio.  It makes operating far more efficient and interesting even if you don’t want to operate contests; although I can’t imagine why anyone would feel that way.    :-)

73

Bob, KQ2M

--
73 de KG2V