[TowerTalk] Grounding

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Sep 3 22:32:34 EDT 2019

On 9/3/19 8:24 AM, Julio Peralta via TowerTalk wrote:
> I'm getting ready to install a SPG ground system at my QTH. I've read a lot
> of the material available for Amateurs including Steve's book and the ARRL's
> books.
>

> My question is how far should the first set of grounds rods, the ones that
> ring the tower base, be placed from the tower base?

What sort of tower is this?

Ground rings matter in wide towers.  In a small ham tower, it's a nice idea,
but not going to buy you all that much, but it's still a nice to have.

Per R56 and the TIA standards you want to place your rods on the ground ring
at 10' intervals around the ring.  The ring should be at least 2' from the
base of a tower or 6' from a building foundation.   4.4.1.6 of R56 deals with
this.

Your needs of grounding are going to be based on your soil conductivity and
what you're trying to protect against.  To go all out, it's easy to spend a
few thousand on grounding with out even doing much.

You should also check your ground resistance as well after you're installed.
I've got a very nice tester which uses coupled RF into the ground system and
listens for the return pulse.  I've been able to get well under an ohm at all
my sites.

Here's a great picture of a direct lightning strike on our site:
http://i.imgur.com/Z12jh94.jpg

Nothing was taken offline from it, not even the pre-amp.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net