[TowerTalk] Grounding

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 4 04:45:23 EDT 2019

On 9/3/2019 2:47 PM, RCM wrote:
> Go here and download the R56 document.

Note that 1) this is a procedural document for VHF/UHF repeater sites;
2) it's written for industrial budgets; 3) these sites are usually on
mauntaintops, where soil conductivity is generally quite poor, 4) it's
99.9% about lightning protection; and 5) I'll bet it's got of lot of
overkill to prevent any legal challenges.

That said, lighting is a bad motha, and cares not a whit about any of
the above. :)  I haven't read the document, but the most important
fundamentals are about BONDING EVERYTHING!

I once had an HF station at a decommissioned AT&T Long Lines site
Microwave on a mountaintop in Nor Cal that my friend owns, and I had the
opportunity to study the documentation for station grounding (it was
built in the '50s). This is an area with terrible soil conductivity, and
it's all about bonding.

The tower is about 150 ft tall, 32 ft square at the base, 24 ft square
at the top, and originally had a bunch of BIG dishes and BIG feedline,
some of which has been removed to make room for antennas for other systems.

73, Jim K9YC