[TowerTalk] Grounding

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 4 08:59:18 EDT 2019

On 9/4/19 1:45 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 9/3/2019 2:47 PM, RCM wrote:
>> Go here and download the R56 document.
>
> Note that 1) this is a procedural document for VHF/UHF repeater sites;
> 2) it's written for industrial budgets; 3) these sites are usually on
> mauntaintops, where soil conductivity is generally quite poor, 4) it's
> 99.9% about lightning protection; and 5) I'll bet it's got of lot of
> overkill to prevent any legal challenges.

Perhaps not legal challenges, but certainly, it's reflective of
commercial and industrial practice, where labor is expensive compared to
parts costs.  For instance, the cost of carrying the wire and installing
it is a lot more than the cost of the wire itself.

it's also oriented towards "cannot fail" life safety applications where
no down time is permitted, and the option of "let it be destroyed and
insurance will cover the replacement" isn't available.