[TowerTalk] Grounding

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 4 15:25:10 EDT 2019

On 9/4/19 10:35 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> The fine print on every whole house surge protector I've been able to
> find specifically excludes lightning for coverage.  The coverage
> specifies only power line surges.  Are you aware of one that includes
> lightning?

I think that the value of the whole house protector is in reducing the
amplitude of spikes that are *induced* by a nearby lightning strike, as
opposed to dealing with the *direct* effect of a strike.

For instance, lightning current flowing in your tower or ground system
inducing a voltage in power wiring in your wall that is parallel to the
tower, even with no physical connection.

There's a lot of ways to kill equipment with fairly small, but fast
transients.  Tesla coils are notorious for this, since the "sparks" are
about 5-6 feet long, discharging a 20-50 pF capacitor really fast (2
microhenry inductance from the spark), so you get this nice high di/dt
which induces differential voltages in the loops formed by the 3rd wire
grounding of appliances and the like.

A lightning strike can do the same thing - the main stroke causes
induced voltages in near by objects, which then breaks down as a
separate discharge, with really high di/dt (higher than the lightning
stroke itself, because the inductance in the circuit is lower than in
the lightning stroke)