[TowerTalk] Grounding

wc1m73 at gmail.com wc1m73 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 18:17:44 EDT 2019

Despite my way-too-long post, I forgot to address the question of whether all grounds should be disconnected during a lightning storm.

As I mentioned, I don't have to unplug each and every devices in my shack, of which there are many, because I have two AC disconnect boxes that allow my to quickly cut off AC to the two circuits in the shack. The boxes are designed to interrupt only the hot and neutral leads (even then they're just a few inches apart.) But the incoming or outgoing house ground lead is supposed to remain connected. I believe the disconnect boxes are designed for performing maintenance on HVAC systems, and I would guess the idea is for the house ground to remain connected so the large motor start capacitor can discharge, or to prevent shock if it accidentally discharges to the chassis.

It's possible to disconnect the ground leads, too, but that requires opening the box (where there's exposed hot AC) and unscrewing the incoming or outgoing ground lead. And they'd still be just a few inches apart when disconnected, not to mention repeated wear and tear on one of the ground wires that's being repeatedly disconnected, bent away, bent back and reconnected.

My feeling is that if the ground system is well-designed and well-engineered it's not necessary (or possibly inadvisable) to disconnect it from the equipment. Or at least, it should be. But I don't know enough about how surges work to be sure. Can someone elaborate? I've heard stories about equipment that was completely disconnected from everything, including ground, getting damaged by a lightning surge. Seems to me that if lightning can induce a surge in an isolated radio sitting on the shack floor, then I'd rather have the chassis connected to an effective ground system.

73, Dick WC1M