[TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a Vertical

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Sep 6 20:46:23 EDT 2019

On 2019-09-06 4:58 PM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:

 > Wes…..PLEASE….After you have watched the video let me know if there is
 > something wrong with the “fifty-ohm” point.

Steve, the tap point on the tower is not 50 Ohms.  The true impedance of
the tap point is *transformed to 50 Ohms* by the (complex) impedance and
length of the transmission line formed by the tower and "gamma rod".
That assumes you have a single capacitor gamma match (shunt feed).

For an omega match (two capacitor), the impedance at the tap point is
first transformed by the impedance and length of the "gamma rod" and
is *transformed again* by the capacitive L network (two capacitors)
before it reaches 50 Ohms.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV