[TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Sep 8 21:26:04 EDT 2019

Older Heliax connectors - the bronze style (I'm talking old here) - had
solder center pins. Nowadays they are of the captured center pin style,
as are most LMR connectors like EZ400's and COMP-400's.

For braided coax with a solid center conductor, I like connectors that
have precision captured center pins, where the (beveled) center
conductor squeezes in with force. After installation, it can slide back
and forth a tiny bit in the pin if needed due to temperature extremes
without breaking anything or moving the pin and losing contact with the
mating connector. Which IS a thing. Maybe not with UHF connectors, but
with N's, definitely. Not sure if there IS a PL-259 like that, if not,
there should be.

If the center conductor is stranded, there is no captured center pin
connector available, for obvious reasons. Well if it's not obvious, it's
because it would take a miracle to get all the strands inserted into a
precision pin, and there would be no way to know for sure how successful
you were.

In that case take your pick, solder or crimp or both...

-Steve K8LX