[TowerTalk] Flagpoles and Inverted L Antennas

Mike Ryan mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 18:07:01 EDT 2019

After such a disappointing low band season last year around here, using only
a Hy Power 160/80 dipole as an 'inverted v'  off my tower, I have been
seriously considering the installation of a flagpole to help.  The flagpole
would act as a vertical support to run an 'inverted L' antenna to, from my
tower.  I have a crank-up tower that can go as high as 70ft. I thought to
run the 'horizontal wire' from the tower to the flagpole.  I can get about
75-80ft from the tower to the flagpole though I would think the flagpole
would be only 30- 35ft high at most.  (I'm considering some kind of a 'lay
over' feature to get it down in case of tropical storms/hurricanes here.)
There are NO trees in proximity to use aside from a 15-18ft palm tree,
therefore the flagpole idea came about.
Has anyone worked with such an antenna running to a flagpole?...would a
fiberglass flagpole be a better choice than something metallic?...Should the
inverted L be fed AT THE FLAGPOLE end and then run to the tower and if so,
the fiberglass the better option if fed at the pole?  What else do I need to
know?  Thanks for your input.  - Mike