[TowerTalk] Sunspot Free - A New Grand Minimum ?? *%$^#

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Sep 11 18:37:39 EDT 2019

I'm covered either way. While I do enjoy the higher HF bands during
solar max, and wish I had been able to be on 6 meters early enough
to catch some real F2 there (not possible while neighbors were
insisting on watching channel 2 with OTA antennas in a very fringe
area), I also very much enjoy chasing DX on low bands. 160m really
comes alive at solar minimum! I have just as much fun with that at
solar minimum as I do high bands and solar maximum. It's the in
between years when neither is all that good that I wish we could
skip. Last winter I was busy concentrating on 2200 meters, surely
not a mainstream band but it was fun making the first three (and to
date, only) US to Europe QSOs on the band. With limited experience I
suggest there is evidence that LF improves greatly at solar minimum
also. I'm hoping the lull in solar activity continues through this
winter!

73,
Paul N1BUG

--