[TowerTalk] Receiving a crank-up tower

Charles "Ed" Pitts K5OF cpitts at ec.rr.com
Thu Sep 12 05:48:03 EDT 2019

You may want to try and obtain the assistance of a roll on roll off
wrecker type truck. I had my local mechanic meet me at a location to
remove a US tower I had taken down and layed on the ground along with
all the antennas and raising fixture from a local ham friend who was
selling his property and moving on. We laid the tower on thick walled 4
inch PVC pipe cut into 3-4 foot lengths ( approx 4 of them) and rolled
the tower on the pipes leap frogging them as they (tower & pipes) rolled
on the ground and as the tower was being winched up onto the flat bed
roll on/roll off wrecker.

He charged me $75 to meet me and do the job moving everything to my
place. All done in about a hours time.

When the tractor trailer driver arrives have the roll on roll off driver
there also if it can be arranged and make the transfer including to the
spot where you want the tower to end up.

Good Luck on whatever method you choose. Make friends with your local
mechanic/wrecker service. For reasonable fees depending on where you are
located and time/distance, etc. they can be very useful!

73! Charles "Ed" K5OF in NC