[TowerTalk] Polygon fiberglass

cqtestk4xs at aol.com cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 08:08:31 EDT 2019

I've used this stuff extensively at three different stations with 60-200 ft towers, so I know what I am talking about.
First, unless one is really clueless, the stuff is quite easy to work with.  I've probably unrolled 6000 or 7000 feet of new Polyrod and NEVER had an issue.  In a clear area I "walked" out around 200 feet for the guys and cut it with a hacksaw...no breaks, cracks etc.  It was real easy.  Only caveat is to wear gloves.
When I sold my station in 2006 I sold some to guys in Ohio and much of it  to a guy in FL.  In order to do this I needed to roll it back up in an 8 ft diameter for transport.  Again easy to do with gloves.  When I returned to FL I bought back the stuff I sold to the guy in FL and purchased some new stuff.  Even in the FL sun after 10 years the old stuff was in great shape and I had no issues using it.  The tower installation in FL (3-200 footers) is still standing using it...after 18 years.  And that is after several brushes with hurricanes.
The tower out in KH6 has new Polyrod  and again no issues.
Cons:
Guy grips for the rod are available from PLP, but you must buy a box of 25.You must wear gloves when handling it.You must adhere to the 8 ft diameter when  working with it...it will crack.You must buy a full 1000 ft roll or more.Harder to store
Pros:
Easier to install guy grips than PhillyAbout 1/2 the cost of PhillyMore resistance to abrasion
YMMV.
Bill KH7XS/K4XS