[TowerTalk] 40M Antenna Comparsion

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 10:12:58 EDT 2019

I think that there is not only the PEAK gain but also the gain over a
certain bandwidth.  48 ft boom OWA Yagis may only have a peak gain
difference of 2dB over the Optibeam 18 ft boom antennas.  But if they are
graphed from 7000 - 7250 - I bet you see more of an advantage to the OWA
antennas.

Personally, I think 2dB of gain is worth chasing.  We all do a lot of
"fighting it out" on 20 and 40M.  Every dB is worth it on those bands in my
opinion.

If you have the Optibeams optimized for CW, you could be more like 3 - 4 dB
down from the OWA stack at 7200.

I have a 3 el M2 on a 36 ft boom.  And a 42ft boom OWA yagi sitting on the
ground yelling to be put up.  The M2 has nice bandwidth performance from
7000 - 7200 but it drops off rapidly above 7200.

Ed  N1UR