[TowerTalk] Skip Distance

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 10:42:44 EDT 2019

On 9/13/19 6:47 AM, Roger D Johnson wrote:
> Frequency was 1825 kHz

Daytime? at 2MHz?

You're totally below the critical frequency, even with no sunspots..
No question you are getting skywave propagation. In fact, low sunspots

helps, because the D-layer absorption is lower, so you can actually get
up to the F layer and back down.

Here's a real timeionogram from Wallops (somewhat farther south)
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/IONO/rt-iono/latest/WI937.png
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/IONO/rt-iono/latest/WP937.png

As I write this the MUF is about 6 MHz, so your 2MHz skywave is no problem.

I think there's some ionosondes farther north - there's one at Haystack
near Boston, MA, but I can't seem to find the real time data.