[TowerTalk] Fwd: Guy Wire Tension Calculation

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Sat Sep 21 16:20:08 EDT 2019

Hi Bob,

Here's the equation for guy wire tension as a function of wind force and
direction:

T = F*(cos(a)+sin(a)/2*sin(120))   or approximately,   T =
F*(cos(a)+0.58*sin(a))
where:

T = horizontal component of force at guy point
F = wind force at guy point
a = angle between wind and guy wire

(all angles in degrees)

This, of course, is for a symmetric three wire system. The easiest way
I've found to work it out is to line one guy wire up with the X axis,
and another at 120 degrees. A little trigonometry and algebra yields the
above formula. If you differentiate it, and set the derivative to zero,
you get:

tan(a) = 1/(2sin(120)) and a = 30 degrees. That yields T = 1.15F.

The formula also tells us that at a = 60 degrees, T = F. So, as wind
direction varies, T varies from F to 1.15F.

One thing I overlooked on my earlier tower loading calculations, is that
with the wind at 60 degrees, right between two guys, the downward force
on the tower is twice what it is when the wind is aligned with a guy.
The huge safety factor I thought I had there isn't quite so huge, but
still adequate for 70 feet of Rohn 25 at 100 mph.

73,
Scott K9MA