[TowerTalk] A3S

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 29 14:22:36 EDT 2019

On 9/29/19 9:45 AM, Wayne Kline wrote:
> Scott,
>
>     I hate to trash a specific manufactured antenna  with 1000 of the A3S over the world   there  a creature  of the past.
>
> Stan hit the nail on the head .   the original  3 band trapless antenna Was Tom’s N6BT   C-3 antenna   Small Light and easily fabricated.
>
> There are other co’s have the same trapless  antennas   but coast $$$$

The C-3 and its friends are very clever designs with 3 bands interlaced
on one boom, but with just aluminum tubing.  With modern modeling tools,
you can probably customize the design a bit if you want to use different
size tubing, have it optimized for a different frequency in the band, etc.

One thing to remember about clever designs (and especially, optimizing
such designs) is that they can sometimes be sensitive to assembly and
tolerances.  That's where modeling comes in handy, you can skew an
element by a few degrees, or make an element 1" shorter or longer and
see what happens.