[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 9 09:57:12 EDT 2020

On 4/9/20 4:21 AM, Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H wrote:
>> Not if you use enough radials.  I don't think I've ever seen ferrite
>> cores out on heliax at AM broadcast towers.  If you use enough
>> radials, the return current will be so divided down that the current
>> on the outside of the feedline (burying it helps but isn't necessary)
>> will be negligible.
>
> Interesting.
> Never though on that.
> Perhaps, Some kind of "sleeve balun" ?
> Grounding the coax's sleeve at 1/4 wl from antenna base.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73, Maximo
>

> <http://foro.ea1ddo.es/>

True, with enough radials, you create a synthetic ground that your
feedline is under.

And for Maximo, there's tons of antennas out there using the 1/4
wavelength choke (Ringo Ranger, etc.).  They're single band, although I
suppose there's no reason why one couldn't do multiple choke sections.

The ferrites are just easier. And actually, you might not need them.
Having the coax act as a radial isn't inherently bad.