[TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 14 12:12:19 EDT 2020

I have to wonder if a permitting authority would allow these for
permanent structures without a soils test and engineering, and costs.
(Utilities run on different rules).  Then a truck and hydraulic system
is needed to install them, more $$.  All of this beyond even advanced
ham skills and technology.

A rental mini-excavator, some rebar ordered bent to spec, and a few
yards of concrete can be DIY.  My (Rohn65) anchors are 2x4x6', full
rebar cages, buried 4' all DIY with some laborer help.  One advantage is
the shank before backfull is available to be tar coated and 0.020" gas
pipe tape wrapped so there is no chance of corrosion failures.  (see TT
posts of anchor shank failures).

My smaller prior R25 built to Rohn spec tower anchors and base were all
hand dug, rebar bent on site and Sakrete mixed in wheelbarrows with
friends and 807's..

Grant KZ1W