[TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 15 15:16:21 EDT 2020

On 4/15/20 9:02 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
> On 04/15/20 11:31 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
>
>> For a few dollars, safety wires seem to me to be a good value
>> insurance, but YMMV for risk taking.
>
> Absolutely. I was only gently correcting the common notion that
> turnbuckle safety wires are to keep a tower from falling if the
> turnbuckle *breaks*.
>
> Which it (the safety wire) certainly will NOT do unless it's installed
> way differently than is common practice.

For that, I've seen a short cable with crimped loops on the end, or a
big loop, that's connected "in parallel" with the turnbuckle (not
through the turnbuckle eyes, but through the loops that mate with the
turnbuckle eyes.  I can't say that it would save anything, but maybe it
would.  You've got all the "small radius bend" problems.

It might be purely a psychological crutch.