[TowerTalk] Widening tower mast opening.

w6rgs at cox.net w6rgs at cox.net
Wed Apr 22 23:24:31 EDT 2020

Howdy folks,

Having galvanized a 2" mast for my tower, it's now too tight of a fit in
the 2" wide x 3" long mast opening at the top plate of the tower.  I
already knew that galvanizing would slightly increase the diameter, but
did not expect as much as it did.

So, I'm thinking of honing out a few thousandths of steel inside that
2x3 tube for the mast to fit.  There is already a thrust bearing on top,
so I'm not worried about a lack of support after honing.

Any thoughts on using a 3-stone cylinder hone to open up the tube a little?

Bill W6RGS