[TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Apr 28 16:54:52 EDT 2020

The main motivation of changing to coils would seem to be the
increased Q and decreased loss.  But a non-obvious benefit is
a broadening of the band width.  Any linear loading scheme has
the drawback that the effective loading inductance is directly
proportional to frequency; exactly what you don't want.  OTOH,
a lumped coil's inductance is relatively constant with frequency,
as long as you don't operate too close to the self resonant
frequency.  This could happen if you make the coils too large
(physically) in a single minded quest to maximize the Q.

Rick N6RK