[TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 28 19:57:25 EDT 2020

On 4/28/20 4:18 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 4/28/2020 3:20 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
>> There is some benefit, however, to use two loading coils on either
>> side of center for each element (instead of center coils) because that
>> gives better current distribution along the elements.  Most modern
>> Shorty-40's do this, and it's the same reason why some mobile vertical
>> antennas use center loading instead of base loading.
>
> There was an excellent 2-part piece in QEX 4-5 years ago showing by
> well-controlled measurements of real mobile antennas that NEC does not
> accurately model current distribution in an antenna with lumped
> inductors placed in a segment. The error is that it fails to account for
> current change through the inductor -- it models the current as the same
> on both sides of the inductor.

That's because the NEC loading inductor is lumped, and of zero physical
length, and has no interaction with the antenna's fields. It *has* to
have the same current on either side.

There's two ways to approach this. One is to break your inductance up
into little segments (which NEC4 has no problem with), but you're still
going to have trouble because there's mutual inductance between segments
that is not accounted for. You might, though, be able to get close by
approximating with 10-15 segments.

The other approach is as you describe below, use the GH card.

Since all modern versions of NEC have the ability to handle thousands of
segments and still have decent run time, that might be the best
approach. Model the helix with 10-15 turns, divided into 8
segments/turn, and that's only 100 segments, which is nothing.
(I run 4000 segment models all the time these days, about 120 seconds to
fill, 15 seconds to factor, over the fancy GN3 ground on a recent
MacbookPro)