[TowerTalk] 40m 4el KLM - replacing linear loading with coils

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 29 09:21:54 EDT 2020

On 4/28/20 9:35 PM, Wes wrote:
> I agree with Dave.  We had a similar discussion about this (using
> monopoles) nearly 20 years ago in the rec.radio.amateur.antenna forum.
> I wrote a little paper at the time; I see it's available at:
> https://www.qsl.net/n7ws/Loaded_Antennas.pdf  Of note is my reference #1.
>
> Wes  N7WS

I think, though, that the whole "short vertical" thing (typically in the
context of vehicle mounted antennas) is a much more extreme case than a
loaded 40m, where the elements are nearly full sized (46 ft vs 66 ft).

The radiation resistance of a 8 foot monopole for 7 MHz is a lot smaller
than the loaded 40m yagi element.

Loss resistance is going to be a much bigger factor for something with a
2 ohm radiation resistance than for something with a 20 or 50 ohm Rrad.