[TowerTalk] remote controlled tuners?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 3 15:01:46 EDT 2020

On 8/3/20 11:13 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Hi, Jim.
>
> Do you plan to use this for transmit, or for receive?
>
> I'm no network expert, but if you intend to do this for transmit I don't
> think you can variably shift the phase AND also at the same time have a
> good match by this method.  Maybe you plan to switch the tuner in for
> receive and out for transmit, or switch between two tuners.

Multiple tuners.. two cascaded allows you to shift phase and transform
the impedance so that when they are in parallel it's 50 ohms.  So 4
tuners all together make a 50 ohm load.

I think that one might be able to get by with 3 - and you let the
"joining point" assume arbitrary impedances. And the typical computer
tuner has a single L and a single C, so there's not much point in
switching multiple "C"s to the joining point.

Not a whole lot different than used in the broadcast business.

For what it's worth, on receive, you might as well do it in software.

Some years ago, I was going to try this with software on Tx, and
separate 100 W PAs, but those PAs are still sitting as kits in the garage.