[TowerTalk] Galvenized Monopole Foundation

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 4 19:42:03 EDT 2020

Be aware that you'll also have to figure out a way to attach a rotator and
mast to the pole for your beams. Most likely you'll have to fabricate
everything yourself.  Perhaps a giant ring rotator could be attached. You'll
also need a crane to erect the pole.

I believe that some monopoles use no concrete, they just sit in a deep hole
filled with stones.

GL with the project

John KK9A

Jonathan - KE0YBL KE0YBL at protonmail.com

Hello Esteemed Cloud Climbers :)

I may be acquiring a self-supporting ~85ft (after assembled) galvanized
steel monopole. Its diameter is graduated from a ~5ft base to 2ft on top (3
sections). I'm planning to use it for rotated amateur radio HF/VHF beams.
I've spoken with the tower brand (a local company) that will sell me the
concrete bolt kit (a couple dozen ~6' bolts), but they're not able to
provide any other details about the tower or concrete footing requirements.
Apparently each tower is built by different manufacturers based on needs,
but they don't track them by serial number - just slap their brand name on
it. They all use the same bolt types by their spec. I'm sure they're not
able to provide me footing requirements for liability reasons, since I'm not
the original purchaser.

I'm wondering if any of you have reasonable options for footing design
without spending too much on engineering costs. I understand the foundation
costs will be non-trivial - pricey bolts, fairly extensive rebar cage,
significant block of concrete, etc. My local code requirements don't require
actual engineering details.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jonathan