[TowerTalk] Galvenized Monopole Foundation

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Aug 5 17:01:06 EDT 2020

On 8/5/2020 1:34 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> One of the local hams here had a big (~100+ ft) tree "topped" and
> had a tower section installed as you described, so he could put
> up a rotatable Yagi.  He would tell us about all the hassles
> of training lumberjacks to do installation and maintenance.
> I guess a crane couldn't get in to the forest.

Right. That's NI6T, well known DXer and contester. Years ago when I was
considering that idea, he talked me out of it for the reasons noted.
Think of it this way -- if you hire someone to climb a tower, it's very
likely that he knows what to do when he gets up there. Tree climbers are
clueless, and in my experience, not teachable.

73, Jim K9YC