[TowerTalk] How to drill foundation?

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:45:33 EDT 2020

With all the growth in Florida, you're going to have a hard time getting an
auger that size to show up at your house to drill a one-off. This is very
expensive equipment that they use continuously for projects like sewers and
water projects.

Your county public works engineer would know if there's a contractor
nearby. They would likely contract this type thing out.

A simpler route would be to get an excavator to dig a 4x4 hole and use that
for a base or use a Sonotube for the foundation form.
Sand or muck, what you find within a couple of miles of the beach is very
unstable, so caving in is a concern. You should not put a person in that
hole.

If you're pulling a permit, you're going to need to schedule
dig/rebar-base, inspection and concrete very tightly.

Concrete delivery is another story. Can a full concrete truck reach the
hole or are you going to need to rent a concrete pump?

I'd find a reputable concrete contractor and have them do the entire job.

73,

Mickey N4MB

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
*“The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling
that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one
to aspire to lead." Robert K. Greenleaf*