[TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?

Randy Farmer w8fn at windstream.net
Tue Aug 18 17:49:49 EDT 2020

Now that I've relocated to semi-rural western North Carolina, I'm doing
some planning for the new antenna system. I already have a US Towers
TX-455 that will be going up soon, but I'd really like to put up another
crankup / tilt-over tower with a somewhat bigger antenna. The good news
is that we have a fair amount of land to work with. The bad news is that
the available land for a second tower installation is almost completely
heavily wooded. The XYL is willing to tolerate the TX-455 behind the
detached garage, but not at all receptive to a tower in the cleared yard
area.

Even though I would really like to have the second tower I'm
apprehensive about how big a project it would be to put up a serious
tower in the woods. I'm especially worried about getting a proper base
in, both because of remaining stumps and tree roots after land clearing
and because of the logistical difficulty of hauling 10+ yards of
concrete out into the woods. Trenching to install a proper ground system
and to run feedlines and control lines would also seem to be another
possible problem. Has anyone undertaken such a project? If so, would you
be willing to share your experiences and advice? Off list would be fine.

Thanks & 73...
Randy, W8FN