[TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?

Randy Farmer w8fn at windstream.net
Wed Aug 19 14:29:12 EDT 2020

Thanks for the advice, Jim. Since I no longer climb (neither the XYL or
I want me to now and most likely won't be able to later) I really want
to go with a tower that allows me to maintain the antennas and rotator
from ground level. Unfortunately, that means a huge lump of concrete at
the base with a surrounding cleared space to lay it over on a tilt
plate. I'm undoubtedly looking at a situation that calls for some sort
of road to be bulldozed through the woods to reach the tower site.

I haven't yet come to grips with what I'll do for 160 and 80 meters yet.
It will probably be heavily influenced by where and how tall the tower
or towers turn out to be. I'm not sure just what critters we have in the
woods around here, but I know there are lots of deer. We're probably
down in the foothills of the Blue Ridge far enough that bears shouldn't
be a problem. I'm planning to install a BevFlex -4X receive antenna soon
and I plan to run it at least head high anchored to trees. We'll see if
that survives the local wildlife traffic.

73...
Randy, W8FN