[TowerTalk] Climbing Harness Recommendations needed

Shawn Donley n3ae at comcast.net
Thu Aug 20 12:25:48 EDT 2020

I had posted a thread a while back on the topic of safe tower climbing with a few thoughts and maybe it’s worth mentioning again.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2016-06/msg00207.html

Perhaps using conventional tower climbing techniques plus another set of eyes, ears and muscle    (a competent belayer on the ground) would add backup to human error or equipment failure.  Having done both rock climbing and tower climbing, I find one side knows little about the techniques of the other.  Perhaps more synergy would help.

Thst said, nothing is perfect.  I recall a tower mishap not too long ago where the attachment for a top rope failed.  Perhaps other readers recall the details. Also a professional setting where the steel fall aren’t cable suffered a failure due to corrosion at its attach point near the top of the tower.

N3AE