[TowerTalk] 40m Moxon over or under 4-el Steppir?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 28 23:08:11 EDT 2020

David,

One question is which W6NL Moxon as there are three - original scratch
build, Cushcraft mod, and high strength Cushcraft mod?  I've built two
of the original and own a third from another builder.  Mine when up was
at 91ft with an 86ft 80m L loaded rotatable dipole above at 102ft.  No
interactions noticed.  SWR plots as expected.  Performance as predicted.

My Moxon shows a measured resonance at 23-24Mhz (the only dip), I think
the loading tips are the cause, so would expect some interactions on 12m
with the 4L pattern/swr.  I don't think which is the top Yagi will
matter for this.  Beyond that, some modeling is appropriate, AC6LA has
all of the SteppIR models built for AutoEZ.  With that software you
might find a 4L setting to minimize the pattern/swr issues.  My bet is
any triband+17/12 antenna will behave the pretty much the same on 12m
but you wouldn't have the ease of tuning with the SteppIR.

I have the SteppIR 4L on another tower and am quite pleased with its
performance and reliability the last 8 years.  A DB36 replaced the Moxon
to gain 30m, with 40m and the rest and it is a different story
altogether for high DB36 swr with the 80m dipole on 30 & 40, even with
the 80m boom parallel.  I think this is due to interaction with the
effectively linear loading of the trombones to cover those frequencies.
Higher bands act like my 4L since the tape isn't looped in the trombones.

If I didn't want 30m, I wouldn't hesitate to put the Moxon and 4L on the
same mast.  I think a pair of very good antennas.

have fun, stay safe, 73

Grant KZ1W