[TowerTalk] Antenna and Radial current

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 29 20:08:36 EDT 2020

Dave,

I went thru this with my 160m elevated T, measuring current in each
radial.  With my MFJ RF current meter calibrated on several ranges I
found the 125ft 10ft up radial currents varied about 5 to 1.  None at
zero though, which would be my first investigation also.  The vertical
is a #13 Davis so easy to measure amps and the radial currents summed to
very close to the vertical current.  My radials are 12.5ga Al electric
fence wire. Your radial currents sum to 46.1 vs the 41 you expected,
maybe close enough.

I have some R65 still on the ground, prior use AM BCB and the bottom 2x
10ft are welded on full coverage steel sheets, and welded together
flanges. I thought the sheets were there as anti-climb, but perhaps more
as conductors.  I was told welding flanges was common BCB practice, I
would assume mostly on high current sections.

At your low power errors might be significant, IIRC I was using about
50w, not much of a concern at 1.8MHz.  Your presence might be significant.

In my case radial proximity to a steel building, ending near a tower,
routed thru numerous trees and a couple in the open is why I think the
currents are different (highest to the tower, then nearest the
building).  Exactly how I would equalize the currents is unknown to me.

There is some "expert" wisdom that fairly strongly advises making radial
currents equal, although I haven't seen analysis to back up those
assertions. Arguments were, big pattern issues and I^2*R losses.  The
extra I^2*R losses are easy to calculate and were insignificant. If you
don't believe in my NEC4.2 modeling then anything can be claimed.

So I took my T model and inserted a source in each radial equal to the
measured current and checked the pattern, swr, etc.  Maybe 1db skew from
azimuth symmetry and no significant change elsewhere.  My model with my
3 other towers present shows more skew.  So, end of my concern until I'm
educated more about this issue. My path losses due to fairly dense
forest is much more of an issue, per the recent QST article, but not
there isn't much I want to do about that.

Grant KZ1W