[TowerTalk] Unequal Radial Currents

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Aug 29 23:20:24 EDT 2020

I've used shortened elevated radials in a few projects.  Made sense to
me - but anyone who knows me will confirm I'm not the sharpest knife in
the drawer.

Started out with radials that were a bit short - 5-10% - forget
exactly.  Verts was constructed and radials hung but built a bit long.
Then trimme each radial - one at a time.  The VNA was connected between
the fixed vertical and attaching one radial. Measured the resonant
frequency of the first one - which determined the benchmark.
Disconnected that radial, repeated with the next radial, trimming to
length to match the benchmark resonant frequency.  Continued with all
radials, one at a time. Then connected 'em all together.  The vertical
final trim frequency was made by adjusting the vertical length slightly
(if you use a small coil in series with the vert that makes adjustment
of the frequency a lot easier than raise/lower, repeat).

It was fun and gave me a sense of precision while using my shiny cool
toys.  No idea if it really made a big difference as there was no really
good way to do a before/after comparison.  The resulting verticals and
4-square arrays "worked" in the classic sense.

There some amount of modeling and discussion of choices out on my web
page under prior antennas (40m 4sq and 80/160m vert) for those looking
for some late night reading.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com