[TowerTalk] Guy anchor posts

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 31 16:16:42 EDT 2020

On 8/31/20 1:08 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> Before worrying about these issues, I would want to be
> sure that the soil will support the load of the guy.
> I went to a lot of trouble to build 12x12 inch "beams"
> consisting of four 2x12's screwed together.  They
> were buried 4 feet deep.  40 meter verticals (30 feet
> long) were mounted on them.  During the rainy season,
> the wind pushed them over at a 45 degree angle.  The
> "beams" didn't fail, the soil did.
>
> Rick N6RK

I suspect that's the most common failure mode for a post with no
backstay. All the force is pushing on the top edge of the "hole".  just
like when you shove a shovel into the dirt and push the handle to bust
loose the next shovel full.  You'd need a really deep burial to resist
this, so that most of the force is resisted deep down.