[TowerTalk] Comet GP-6NC question

Tom WA9WSJ wa9wsj at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 13:52:11 EST 2020

 Hi Jim,
Thanks for your replies.
I agree with your thoughts. I have a comet gp-9 and I have had to replace the in-line capacitors a couple of times due to close lightning strikes.This gp-6nc is probably built in similar fashion. Making the internal element longer will probably be a pain, in addition to making the fiberglass covering tube longer even if I get it to tune lower. As you suggest, I'll put an analyzer on it to see how wide banded it might be. Maybe I'll get lucky and will work on the ham bands. I was hoping someone went through this before I tried it, so as to get some pointers. Thanks again for your thoughts.
73,
Tom

    On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 04:42:10 PM MST, Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 12/5/2020 3:36 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> Here's the poop sheet.
> https://cometantenna.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/gp-9nc.pdf

Wrong part number, it's for a longer, higher gain antenna, and the
website yields an error for the right part number.

The tuning on antennas like this is strongly dependent on element
length, and there are likely internal components connecting the two
elements. My guess is that it won't be easy to modify.

73, Jim K9YC