[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 26 20:35:28 EST 2020

It is pricey.  The balls can't rotate on two axis at the same time so it
is only one of radial, thrust or angular.  I can't see top and bottom
clearances but I see radial clearance. If both are there it must be
angular.  Plus the tight clearances on the WX shield need radial
centering so angular is required with the observed side clearance.

I'm also partial to that since DXeng is also Summit Racing with some
serious mechanical chops and IMO it is the best alternative for a tower
top mast support that must have radial and thrust capacity.  It appears
to me to be a tooled casting, unlikely it is sand cast.

The Chinese tapered roller bearings are probably good enough for mast
supports, but consider the top and bottom housings that need designed
and machined and the cost of the 6061 raw stock. I also think the next
larger bearing size is needed to have enough aluminum in the bore.

Yes, the same bearing from Japan, EU or even Brazil will be many more $$.

Grant KZ1W