[TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought

Neal Sulmeyer Neal at K4EA.NET
Wed Feb 5 13:12:23 EST 2020

resonance is the tendency of a system to vibrate with increasing amplitudes at some frequencies of excitation. These are known as the system's resonant frequencies (or resonance frequencies). The resonator may have a fundamental frequency and any number of harmonics.

Ken,

Do not confuse "resonance" with "matching".  Many educated people make this mistake.  A doublet cut as an EDZ is not resonant at the design frequency.   With open wire (or window line) feedline to a 4:1 balun and the a stub to cancel out the reactance, you match it to your 50 ohm feedline (and radio).  I have several such antennas. Two on 20M, one on 40M and one on 30M.

The length of the open feedline to the 4:1 balun is critical, but can be extended by 1/2 wave multiples (don't forget velocity factor when doing the calculations).  There is no point in extending the (shorted) stub. Also be sure you know the impedance and velocity factor of your open wire feedline.  Don't assume the value.  Measure it!

Also, window or ladder line, is severely impacted by water (rain) adhering to it.  Be sure everything is dry and don't expect the match to hold when it gets wet.  I learned the hard way and now just make my own open wire feed lines.

Neal, K4EA

I thought this would be easy, but I’ve screwed it up. I’m hoping to get some insights from this group of antenna experts re the easiest way to proceed!  Perhaps someone could model it for me?