[TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Feb 5 14:58:16 EST 2020

On 2/5/2020 11:47 AM, Matthew King - AK4MK wrote:
> As far as the advantage of the antenna, it's two 5/8 wave elements fed in
> the center, so it has about 3db gain over a standard center fed dipole on
> the same frequency.  That gain is broadside to the antenna, with nulls off
> the end.

Yes. But that gain is only on the single band for which it is designed.
When I first moved to W6, I had one up for a while. It worked, but the
feedline needed a choke to prevent common mode noise pickup on the
feedline. I added one and the antenna got quieter. The choke was applied
at the point of the transition from two-wire line matching section to
coax. Once I had Al in the air, I took it down.

73, Jim K9YC