[TowerTalk] center insulator material

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 8 16:27:05 EST 2020

I've been using black UHMW for mast radial bearings - cheap, slippery,
good insulator, and UV resistant (just inspected after 4 years).  Not as
strong as delrin or glass filled, but should work fine for your center
insulators.

One BIG caution using home shop tools - soft plastics (also brass) will
grab a standard twist drill flutes and pull it out of most any vise.
That makes for a whirling finger/hand slicer.  It is important to stone
the sharp drill point cutting edges flat for about 0.020 - 0.030" for
drills bigger than 3/16" diameter or so.  Sometimes called dubbing the
drill point, see

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=drilling+brass&docid=608050047239851308&mid=00A1314A97BD2D20C1D800A1314A97BD2D20C1D8&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://handycrowd.com/drilling-brass-the-easy-and-safe-way/

Grant KZ1W