[TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna advice. (NY6DX)

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Feb 14 14:23:30 EST 2020

That's funny Jeff:)  In reality an 80m beam can be built strong enough
to survive the midwest. I had a homebrew linear loaded dipole with a
90+ ft element 160' high that held up well in Chicago. However if you
want to operate both CW and SSB, you will need relays on the elements
which can be problematic and difficult to maintain.

John KK9A

Jeff Blaine ac0c wrote:

Around here (Kansas) we call 80m beams "stuff you mow around." Called
that - because when the ice storm or wind event or whatever comes along
that brings that once-lovely beast back to ground level, the owner is so
heart-broken and disgusted that he tends to leave it lay as it fell.
And from then on out, he just mows around it.  Eventually the pile gets
overgrown and you can't see the beam anymore.  ha ha

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com