[TowerTalk] XHHW wire

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Feb 21 14:41:26 EST 2020

On 2/21/2020 5:18 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> Is the PVC insulation coming off?  I have never seen this occur, even in
> Aruba.  Typically just the nylon coating over the PVC that reduces
> friction and makes it more chemical resistant starts peeling off.

John. I've had a lot of THHN in the air for ten years or more, and your
experience is the same as mine. In response to erroneous comments made
by another ham that antenna performance was degraded by this, N6LF
published  the results of some serious lab work proving that this was
not true.
  You
> can buy bare wire in any size, I use it for ground radials.

I use THHN #14 for radials, both on the ground and elevated.

>I believe
> that K9YC uses heavy AWG bare copper and pre-stretches it for antenna wire.

Yes.

73, Jim K9YC