[TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust ?

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 1 12:41:31 EST 2020

Hi there. You had it right on the nose below when you said structural.

I am aware of the minute differences in radiating efficiency between a
wire and length of tubing. As these are going to be elevated verticals
my primary concern will be which bends over first in a 70-80 MPH line wind.

I still have standing one such vertical I made over 20 years ago that
has survived horrible wind storms. It is a hybrid just like what I
described....simple EMT and aluminum tubing. I was just wondering, since
I am starting from scratch  if having larger dia tubing was a plus or a
minus when all the factors are considered. BTW the EMT and aluminum
tubing have about the same wall thickness (0.065" & 0.058").

Also regarding cost, my price to put two of these antennas together is
about half of the spider-beam pole which is why I am considering going
this route. TU very much for ur input.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....