[TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Tool

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 8 16:09:41 EST 2020

In an efficient industrial setting you would not believe how many RF
jumpers a worker or two can churn out in an hour. Our engineering
facility also had a HUGE production area (where we made all the SINCGARS
radios for the ARMY) and several dedicated stations out of several
hundred would be just for making jumpers etc.

It's all pneumatic powered and so "pre-programmed" that an operator can
start with a pre-cut length of RG-142 or RG-174 etc and in less then 1
minute have a pair of SMA or other connectors crimped on both ends.
Another operators job would be just to make pre-cut lengths of coax.
That operator would just cram in the coax into a die, push a foot-switch
and have it lop off all the non-needed braids, overcoat, & dielectric
parts exactly to length in one pass....That operator could several
cables every minute and require zero measuring or thinking.

It then goes down the line for heat shrinking and labeling etc. Anyway,
no way you or I can do things like that at home but for a company that
can invest $1000 in the dies and jigs etc for a dedicated station they
can make a huge profit. Having us build our own everything rather then
outsourcing meant way more profit in the end esp when I was told we
ended up selling over 1/2 million of those radios.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....