[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Grease preference or recommendation

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Wed Jan 8 18:04:54 EST 2020

Hi Mac,

I've rebuilt several P/P gear boxes and have had issues in the past with
the grease being too thick in the high speed planetary gear area.  When
the wx would get really cold (for VA) in the teens, it would want to
turn so slowly that it would 'fault' the Green Heron controller.  This
was when I had it set up for 'ramping' the speed up/down.  I would just
have to change the 'ramp' setting to get it working again.

So, the last time I did any, I did a bunch of research and found Amsoil
Arctic grease.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/arctic-synthetic-grease/
The performance ratings are fine and comparable to other greases, but
it's good for really low temps.  The viscosity reminds me of hair gel;
not really thick at all.  And, it synthetic!  Temp range of -75 to 315
degrees F.

I put this stuff in three small P/P's, but have not used any of them yet
(spares), but I think it will be a fine choice.

Hope this helps.

73 de Steve, NR4M