[TowerTalk] Dipole length vs diameter -- a theory question

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Jan 28 15:19:22 EST 2020

As you point out, the resonance of a conductor is determined by length
(inductance) and diameter (distributed capacitance to itself).  I don't
know the formula for that either, but I'm pretty sure that whatever you
get by reply to your question will be for a straight conductor.  A bent
conductor like your halo will have somewhat more capacitance to itself
than a straight one.

Also, proximity has more effect at high voltage positions than at low
voltage positions ... which is how top hats work.

All that is why I usually just generate an EZNEC+ model, which at least
tries to geometrically take into account distributed capacitance.  As a
general rule, almost every model I've ever done says that as I increase
the width (as long as it's an appreciable percent of a wavelength) the
resonant frequency goes down and the bandwidth increases ... but
configuration has a large effect.

73,
Dave   AB7E